zaterdag 3 september 2011

Four Funnies

Walking my dog in the rain one day, I tried to make up a couple of jokes for a new comic strip. I don't usually let the lack of an idea stop me... I mostly just make things up as I go along. But this time I wanted to do it "right" - so I set my brain a going... and came up with nothing.

Not too bothered, I kept on strolling, enjoying the late summer drizzle and started making up a little tune in my head about the stuff I saw. "Ah," I recall thinking, "this might actually be an idea - make up a little rhyme but don't set it to music - set it to pictures!"

So that's what I did. A sort of dirty limerick (which was pretty hard to translate once it once done, actually, but I think it still reads OK, I hope):

And now on to a few other pieces I made the past few months - ones for which I had no inspiration, other than the desire to get a few strips done..!

"Tanja and Jan" is a comic about a nice fellow (Jan) and his friend, Tanja. They are aspiring artists and hang around outside, sketching things all day. Besides drawing, they seem to like getting into arguments with people who pass by:


"Yellow" is a strip I made-up some years ago. It was for a second comic-contest, and I actually got another strip in a paper that way. Didn't win, but it was cool to be published.

I wanted something absurd like "Tomato", but less violent, more "funny". So I drew a guy wearing very simple clothes, bald with no first or last name. But the strip needed a name, of course. So "yellow" seemed pretty good. Then I thought, "Great, I'll color the guy in yellow - clothes, skin, everything - that ought to look pretty good!"

And I did like the first one - he was yellow and stood out very well. But by the time I was coloring in the second episode, I had a little trouble. As he was bright yellow, it was hard to come up with colors for the background that didn't clash and look really busy, kind of hard to create any atmosphere. So then I realized - a-ha! - keep calling it "Yellow", but color him in a different color each time. That would be even better!


"D. L. Steensma" is one of my favorite characters. He's fairly serious about stuff, but has no luck and people seem to dislike him. I tried to make him even more simple than the guy in "Yellow" - Steensma has hair, but only wears trousers and shoes (naked was maybe fun, too, gotta try that sometime..!).

Not much point to the strip, just makes me very happy doing it. And I do love coloring it in - using a limited palet of 64 colors (like old comics, I'm told), a few Deca-dry type grey-tones here and there - and then some old, dirty paper to top it all off. This one always makes me hungry for Chinese...






Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten